Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Keeping Spring Fever Under Control

I use one new idea each day to encourage self-control, participation, and effort.
If you have a GREAT morning, I will do one of the following:

For Monday, since I'll have a sub so I can attend an all-day meeting,  I'll have her use my Hippo Puppet to shout, "Hip, hip, hooray!  You are having a GREAT day!"  to each child who completes their work and follows directions.  They are going to love this!  :)
This is a super, soft, full-arm puppet in my TPT for $7.

On Tuesday, after reading Are You Sleepy Little Bear? by Martin Waddell, I will use my Fuzzy Bear Puppet to hand them a baked Goldfish Cracker (since bears love to catch fish) and say, "Go fish!"  The student gets to pick one baked cracker for a treat.  
This is a super, soft, full-arm puppet.  Click the image.

On Wednesday, after reading When I Grow Up, by Al Yankovic  (have you seen his book?), I will use my Baseball Star Puppet to toss you a foam ball while I say,  "Way to go!"

You can toss a foam ball or a squishy ball from The Dollar Store.

On Thursday, after reading Going To The Firehouse by Mercer Mayer, I will use my Fire Fighter Puppet to hand them a white, mini marshmallow (I tell them it's an ice cube) and say, "You're on fire!"



On Friday, after reading The Tiniest Mermaid by Laura Garnham, I will use my Mermaid Puppet to hand you a strip of construction paper cut to 1 1/2" X 7".  I tape it to their wrists and say, "You swim circles around me!"  (It always amazes me that they will work so hard for a strip of paper, but hey, I'm not complaining!)




 And the following week, after reading The Little Golden Book: Ratatouille, I will use my Chef Puppet to hand you a sticker while I say, "Easy, peasie, lemon squeezie!"

You can use any puppet you have on hand, or click on my images to find well-made puppets with lots of detail.  These puppets are full size and fit on adult hands as well as children's hands.

If you don't have puppets, just use props (like a baseball cap or a fire fighter hat) or pictures.
It's amazing how behavior improves as they see their friends getting a special reward.  

Have fun!  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post with me! I really like it! I am looking for guest bloggers for my Saturday Shares. If you ever want to guest blog about some of your classroom or behavior management strategies, let me know! I would love to have you.

    Heather Salsman
    Teaching Through Turbulence

    ReplyDelete