Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Common Core At Its Best

When The Teacher Becomes The Facilitator:

We were exploring all of the ways to create 6.  I didn't give any directions; I only gave my small group of four students 6 double sided (red & white) chips and the ten frames I won at I Teach K last summer.   I asked a few questions, but mostly I just let them discover on their own or with a partner.
I arranged my chips in a different way than you did,
but we both have 2 white chips and 4 red chips.

At first, I just let them play with the ten frames and chips. 

Then, The Magic Happened:

Let me show you how to make an AB pattern with your chips.


They explored and discussed so many ways to create 6.  

They learned from each other.

They helped each other.

They used their words and had so much fun making different combinations of 6.

How many more do I need to get to ten?
You can get these plastic double ten-frames at Lakeshore.  Click HERE for the link.

Now, We Will Complete Page 6:

Each week, we create a picture using one or two shapes.  On week one we used only one piece.

Student may choose one of these or create their own.


On week 2 we used 2 pieces.  They could be the same or different.

Can you see how the house is 1 + 1 = 2, but the bird is 2 + 0 = 2?Sorry about the paint on the sunglasses :o/


On week 3 we used 3 pieces.  They could pick one or two shapes, not three.

Imagine the fun your kids will have creating objects with all one shape or two shapes.


After we created the picture, we completed the sentence with words.  This is what page 6 might have had on it:

My students came up with these.


 Then, we wrote:  6 is a ________.  (flower, star, ship, etc.  They got to pick one.)


I printed 2 of the same page on each master so you can simply copy
the entire packet, cut the pages in half, and staple both mini books.

Then, we completed the number sentence that went with the picture:  
0 + 6 = 6
1 + 5 = 6
2 + 4 = 6
or 
3 + 3 = 6

This makes a great book to keep for Open House.  

You can find my Addition Book by clicking HERE.

See you all tomorrow.
Palma 

3 comments:

  1. Super cute stuff, as usual!!! Who is the maker of the ten frames?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just updated this post with the link. They are from Lakeshore. http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C928%2C670&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1413293281326

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lesson! I love the tens frames I need to look into getting them :)

    ReplyDelete